Friday, August 05, 2005

First week in Leiden, 01-05 August 2005

After what had to be the most painstaking trip to Europe ever, which included: a multiple hour de-fueling of the plane at Dulles; the subsequent missing of two connecting flights; being re-routed through London to arrive in Amsterdam 7 hours later than initially expected; and arriving without any luggage (delivered 3 and 5 days later), I am finally settled in my humble apartment at Smaragdlaan 246.

Since arriving, I've shopped at the largest open air market in Western Europe located in Den Haag (The Hague) for fresh cheese, fruit, and veggies, I've begun exploring the town of Leiden, and have simply worked at making my place a little more comfortable. I've concluded that, at a minimum, I need a bike and to learn a fair amount of Dutch to get along here over the next two years...

Here are some photos I've taken in my first week here. Enjoy!



The infamous windmill in the town of Leiden.



Another view













View from bridge overlooking canal, rowhouses, and boats.













A "floating" terrace cafe. These are like miniature barges which various restaurants/cafes own and just sit in the water. Some are quite neat looking.















These are taken from an area nearby several University buildings. Very quaint and picturesque around there.



No comments: