Friday, October 16, 2009

Riga, Latvia in 2 weeks!

Well, in the last month of free time, before I start a new job on November 16th, I decided it would be prudent to take a small European trip. Since Arno can't go with me, it had to be somewhere that he wouldn't be envious of ;) Actually, a few days prior to me booking a trip to Riga with my friend, Arno and I had made a loose list of priority countries we want to visit in the coming years. The Baltic States weren't one of the priorities. Luckily, there are very affordable flights with RyanAir from Brussels (where my friend lives) to numerous locations, so alas, I settled on Riga!

I don't know really what to expect, except that it's still apparently very 'Russian-esque' from so many years spent under rule of (among others) the former Soviet Union. The two largest ethnicities are indeed Latvian, followed very closely by Russian.

Check back in sometime after 1 November for some photos!

Atā! (apparently that is Latvian for 'bye'!)

1 comment:

Steve said...

Have fun, I've always heard good things about Riga. If you get bored, I think you can take a ferry to Sweden!